Thank you for your interest in the
Nightjar Survey Network.
We hope you join us by choosing a route to survey. Survey data will help discover and explain population changes for these species.
The steps are easy: Drive, Count, Report Data
Firstly, sign up for an account here: http://www.nightjars.org/users/sign_up
Requirements for Participation
- Suitable transportation to complete a survey
- Good hearing to count birds at a distance
- Able to recognize and differentiate calls of North American Nightjar Species
- Able to schedule surveys during the survey window
Surveys are conducted only ONE TIME per year:
Survey windows for 2018 are:
- Window 1: 22 April to 7 May for low elevation AZ, FL, NM, and TX only
- Window 2: 21 May to 6 June for any location in the country
- Window 3: 20 June to 6 July for any areas north of AZ, FL, NM, and TX and recommended for high elevations in the northern U.S.
Surveys should only be conducted within those time frames.
Specific instructions and data sheet download is available on our Survey Instructions page.