Thank you for your interest in the
Nightjar Survey Network.
We hope you join us by choosing a route to survey. Survey data will help discover and explain population changes for these species.
The steps are easy: Drive, Count, Report Data
Firstly, sign up for an account here: http://www.nightjars.org/users/sign_up
Requirements for Participation
- Suitable transportation to complete a survey
- Good hearing to count birds at a distance
- Able to recognize and differentiate calls of North American Nightjar Species
- Able to schedule surveys during the survey window
Surveys are conducted only ONE TIME per year:
Survey windows for 2019 are:
- Window 1: FL, TX, and low elevation AZ and NM: 12 April to 26 April
- Window 2: Any location in the country: 11 May to 26 May
- Window 3: Areas north of AZ, FL, NM, and TX, and recommended for high elevation areas in the Northern U.S.: 9 June to 25 June
Surveys should only be conducted within those time frames.
Specific instructions and data sheet download is available on our Survey Instructions page.